Friday, January 25, 2013

For Dolours

How can I weep for someone I never had the chance to meet and know?  And yet that is what I've done all the day and into the night and early morning now, for you have gone.  You, beautiful and brave woman of our Ireland who fought so hard for us, now are flying with our unforgotten fallen, cut down by life's hard pain and sorrow, into the other realm of memory and legend.

You never bowed down to false men but stood against them with all your might all these long years.  It took its toll on you, the forcefeeding, the weight of truthtelling, all the losses, the marginalization.  You were no auxiliary to anyone.  You were a full veteran of war and no one's mule or mere accomplice.  You stood so strong for so very long, never wavering in your complete devotion to our Ireland.  It had to hurt so much, what you knew inside your heart about your traitors, the ultimate betrayal of denial.  How dare they hide behind their lies and disrespect you and all of us who stood beside you?  How dare they dishonor our land with their falsity and verbal treason?  You stood up to them and we listened.  

I wept all day because I know the pain of not being believed, of being marginalized, betrayed and blackened by those I once believed in.  I know the pain of losing hope and feeling it alone in my room at night--how so few really understand or even want to know the nature of those feelings.  It almost killed me, Dolours, that pain.  And now I fear it's what took you, too, the exhaustion of living with your own private suffering.  It is just too much to ask of anyone to bear such things.  People who haven't been there simply cannot understand.

I will carry your memory in my heart forever, brave Oglach Dolours Price.  To me you are forever unbowed and unbroken, true soldier for our Ireland.  I stand and salute you, courageous woman.  You shall never be forgotten.  Our day will come.






5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute and remembrance, Geraldine. So important to acknowledge Dolours as a fully actualized, empowered woman, especially: "You were no auxiliary to anyone. You were a full veteran of war and no one's mule or mere accomplice." I wish it could be read at her funeral, as a eulogy. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading and commenting, June :-) I feel very humbled by your words...

      Delete
  2. I loved this piece...I could feel the sincerity in it...you´re pain is almost palpable..as the pain of one disenfranchised from what is your rightlful Irish heritage...but at the same time there#s the recognition of the 'inner thing' as best described in 'The Rhythm of time' by Bobby Sands...that Thing that 'has withstood the blows of a thousand years'...that Thing 'that says I'm right'...I believe that you need to grasp that thing, and hold it tight...nurture that inner thing..that 'desire for freedom-the Foni Sáoirse'..for in the embracing of it, along with the pain comes the understanding..the Realisation..the foundation of Freedom in your Soul in understanding like Dolours did the Magnitude of the consciousness of 'knowing' that you're right!!!....Nollaig:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your thoughts here, Noll, they mean a great deal to me. I believe you read my piece accurately and with a deep understanding that many readers may not have...it is that something inside so strong, the heart of our Ireland, that is at the center of feelings here...that which I truly do need to nurture and embrace as my true and deepest self...that has been in my blood and my ancestors' blood for yes, thousands of years...Grma, a chara xx

      Delete
    2. ...as that has been in Dolours' blood and in her ancestors' blood for thousands of years, just as yours has, too, my friend...

      Delete