Monday, February 4, 2013

No Last Drop

I want to know more
About you. Will you take
My hand and walk
With me beside
The stream where we
Can listen to the silence
In the song of water
From the greenest
Wellspring underground?
I know you feel me,
My love, and how there
Is no real end foreseen
Within the rhythm of
Our breathing hearts,
Our lungs, our veins,
Not in this wild rain
That always fills
This well we drink
Our songs from.
Tell me how you found
This thin place, and why
You leave here so often
When you really want
To stay and keep your
Peace, your truest
Dream, your home, your
Sloping hills and embracing
Mountains. It is here
I feel you, your love and
Even from this distance
I want to kiss each
And every single letter
Of your Gaelic name
Over and over and
Over again. There is
No last drop upon
My lips, my love, this
Well is forever being
Fed by silence
Of the hidden song within
The spring we cannot see,
Deep down, underground.

6 comments:

  1. "In fact, my Soul and yours are the same. You appear in me, I appear in you. We hide in each other."

    ~Rumi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunningly beautiful poem, Geraldine. Your words led me into the enthrallment of your feelings. I especially love the mixing of the senses and of the sources of water/love/song/poetry:

    this wild rain
    That always fills
    This well we drink
    Our songs from.

    So true that we "drink" our songs, our poetry, from a deep well fed by wild rain. We don't simply write songs - it is not simple output - we drink them and take them into our senses, and if they happen to emerge later in a songlike form, that is almost by accident.

    I also love the lines:

    Tell me how you found
    This thin place, and why
    You leave here so often

    Your voice is so present, so urgent, yet also understanding. I like "this thin place" especially - very evocative - for me, it brings the image of a place almost magically "thin" in atmosphere, stripped bare of civilization, where one's authentic self can emerge.

    A very powerful, even existential, love poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for reading and commenting, June. In Ireland a "thin place" is the place between this world and the otherworld of faeries, selkies and the like. It is where songs and poems come from, in a spiritual sense. I am so happy you found my words evocative and beautiful, my friend! Thank you :-) xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thin places are actually physical places in Ireland that are gateways to our Irish otherworld...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. So very happy you do, Pol! You are very welcome, always XOX

      Delete